Humphrey Spender 1910-2005
'Black Water Canal' Oil on canvas, 20 x 28 in, signed and dated 1954.
Original Leicester Galleries label verso.
Humphrey Spender was born in London.Was a fellow of the Society of Industrial Artists and Designers and an honorary designer, Royal College of Art. Spender attended Gresham's School, Holt, then in 1928 went to Freiburg in Breisgau University. From 1828-34 Spender gained his diploma at the Architectural Association School of Architecture. His teachers included Howard Robertson. Spender had solo painting exhibitions including Redfern and Leicester Galleries, New Art Centre and provincial venues. Chelmsford Museum, Epping Forest District Museum, University of Essex, Imperial War Museum, Wolverhampton Arts, The Hepworth Wakefield, Kirklees Museum, Government Art Collection, Luton Culture, Peterborough Art Museum, Usher Gallery in Lincolnshire, Victoria & Albert Museum, Ministry of Works and many provincial galleries hold pictures by him.